Out and Proud Parents Day – 30th July 2019
Are you a proud parent of an ‘out’ LGBTQI+ child? Or are you an ‘out’ LGBTQI+ person who has parents who are proud of you?
We would love you to come out on camera on 30th July to help inspire other parents who are struggling to understand or accept their LGBTQI+ children.
‘Coming out’ to parents is one of the hardest things any LGBTQI+ person will ever have to do. In that moment of telling parents who they really gave birth to, one’s entire existence can change.
In a perfect world ‘coming out’ would be met with acceptance. But sadly lesbian, gay, bi-sexual or trans youth who come from highly rejecting families are more likely to attempt suicide, compared to their peers.
What is happening on 30th July 2019?
On 30th July 2019 we are encouraging parents to ‘come out’ to their community and tell the world how proud they are of their LGBTQI+ children. We hope this will lead to the increase in visibility of accepting parents… who will in turn inspire other parents who may be struggling to understand or accept their LGBTQI+ children.
Through acceptance, love and positivity we can create the change we want to see in this world.
Why is this happening on 30th July?
Five years ago, on 30th July 2014, the world needlessly lost Naz… a beautiful young gay man and much loved doctor in the community. Naz sadly took his own life two days after being confronted about his sexuality by his deeply religious parents.
Using Naz’s positive energy and his desire to always help others, we are reclaiming this dark day and hoping to create something truly positive. A day where we can help inspire more parents to accept their children if and when they come out.
How to take part in #OutAndProudParentsDay
- Using your smartphone take a new video or photo telling your community why you are proud of your lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer or intersex child, and encourage other parents to do the same.
- On the 30th July 2019 share this on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram and include the hashtag #OutAndProudParentsDay so that everyone can find it.
For LGBTQI+ individuals
- Record a new video, or take a fabulous photo, with your mum or dad, or grandparent, and ask them why they are proud of you.
- On the 30th July 2019 share this on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram and include the hashtag #OutAndProudParentsDay
For everyone else
- If you’re someone who would like to help encourage more parents to accept their LGBTQI+ children please follow the #OutAndProudParentsDay and on 30th July retweet, share, like or comment the posts you see to help them gain visibility with your friends and community.
- Watch the day unfold:
Free book for parents from faith backgrounds
Need advice and guidance?
We will soon be launching our free book for religious parents of LGBTQI+ children. To receive your copy, please register below and we’ll send you more information when the book is published.Request copy of book
Would you like face-to-face support?
If you’re a parent and would like to meet other parents of LGBTQI+ individuals, please contact one of these groups
- Naz and Matt Foundation Support Group
- New Road Parents Group
- Manchester Parents Group
- Families Together London
Role Model Parents
In the video below, Manjinder Singh Sidhu is with his fabulous Mum talking to about homosexuality from a parent’s perspective. We need more inspirational parents like Manjinder’s Mum to talk about their journey and how they learnt to understand and accept their LGBTQI+ children.
To become role models for other parents and inspire them to be more accepting.